- Home >
- Research Cloud
Cloud Computing for Researchers
The University of Melbourne offers cloud computing services to all researchers and research students affiliated with the University. This service is available due to the University being one of the initial nodes of the NeCTAR Research Cloud, which is an Australian first.
Get started: you can login to the Research Cloud right now.
The research cloud is a place where researchers can gain rapid access to scalable computational power, research applications and storage, empowering them to share knowledge and collaborate across research infrastructure and institutions.
What does that mean in plain English?
- You can get a powerful computer in "the cloud" (that is, online and always available).
- You can get it immediately (that is, within a few minutes).
- It's yours to use for your research (just as if it were an extra computer on your desk).
Why would you need a computer in the cloud?
- You get more computing 'bang for your buck' by hosting your application on the cloud computing service. In fact, there is no charge for University of Melbourne researchers to use NeCTAR Research Cloud.
- Using a computer on the Research Cloud allows you to avoid delays associated with procurement and deployment of a desktop machine. Your computer in the cloud can be deployed almost instantly. You also 'out-source' some of the effort in maintaining the system.
And these are just a few of the reasons—see more benefits of using the Research Cloud.
Want to know more?
- See about the Research Cloud for more detail.
- See NeCTAR's Research Cloud resources for more information and to apply for your own piece of the Research Cloud.
- Or get in touch with Research Services by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org